EQ Saturday Sapience #42
Equity Intelligence 25th November 2023
India is positioning itself as a major exporter of e-government technology, leveraging its advancements in biometric IDs and payment systems to enhance its global influence and showcase its technological prowess. A docuseries critically examines why renewable sources like wind and solar are insufficient by themselves and explore the extensive efforts required to curb the reliance on fossil fuels by 2050. In another domain, Mr. Sanjeev Sanyal offers insights into India's economic growth and the country's ambitious goal of becoming a $5 trillion economy, highlighting potential opportunities. Lastly, post-Diwali sales in India have hit a record high, with trade reaching Rs 3.75 lakh crore, prompting a discussion on whether Indian businesses are excessively dependent on the festive season for a surge in sales.
- India has big plans to export its e-government technology. From biometric IDs to payment systems, it has a lot to offer. Narendra Modi sees it as a means to extend India’s influence, diplomats relish winning goodwill at low cost, tech doyens see it as an endorsement of their abilities. But to reap these rewards, India needs a mechanism to institutionalise its efforts. So far it has relied on bilateral agreements, a slower and less flashy way of going about things… Read here
- Energy Transition is the single greatest challenge humanity faces in the 21st century, and climate change isn’t the only reason. Energy Transition Crisis is an 8-part docuseries that explains why wind and solar alone won’t be enough, then takes a hard look at what it’s really going to take to break humanity’s addiction to fossil fuels by 2050… Watch here
- A talk by Mr. Sanjeev Sanyal on India’s Economic Acceleration, Decoding India’s $5 trillion quest and opportunities…. Watch here
- Diwali is over, but is the festive shopping over yet? Trends suggest that festive sales really boomed this year. Estimates from the Confederation of All India Traders show that on Diwali retail markets across India did a record trade of Rs 3.75 lakh crore. Shopping during festivals is a norm, but is India Inc. over-reliant on this season to boost sales?... Listen here
- “It is always easiest to run with the herd; at times, it can take a deep reservoir of courage and conviction to stand apart from it. Yet distancing yourself from the crowd is an essential component of long-term investment success.” —Seth Klarman